Eighteenth Century Russia

Roman Ravve roman_kiev at MAIL.RU
Wed Nov 10 23:02:31 UTC 2004

Вы писали 10 ноября 2004 г., 17:29:27:

jz> I have a few questions from a layman (me) about Russian vocabularly. I am writing a book
jz> about an eighteenth-century American traveling in Siberia.

jz> 2. Sibirnji: I have that translated (is it spelled correctly?) as "cruelty" in Russian?
jz> 3. Do you know off-hand whether the word for Russian fur trader is promyshlenniki or
jz> promyshleniki? I see it both ways.
In my dictionaries from 1955 and 1976 this word is written with "nn" -
promyshlenniki.