Platonov translation problem - provisional conclusion

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Nov 17 11:18:02 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Many thanks to you all for your contributions.  I now realize realize more
clearly than ever how brilliantly Platonov uses prepositions.  He manages to
slip an extraordinary amount of meaning into words one would barely notice
in another writer: iz, po, k, ot.  And it is these little words that are
always hardest to translate.

The discussion has also brought home to me once more the variety of
Platonov¹s style.  Platonov can certainly write with apparent awkwardness
when it is appropriate, but he can also ­ as here - write with Shakespearean
concision and directness.  As I noted before, Sasha says exactly what he
means to say; he just doesn't know that this is not the way one is supposed
to talk.

I¹d like to quote something Francoise Rosset sent me off-list: ³The
breathtaking part of the phrase to me is its ability to capture a child's
not wholly consistent yet thoroughly convincing logic. It's not strictly
correct but you immediately know what it means. I'd stay away from anything
too linguistically spectacular. You're right, it still has to sound like a
child.²

Yesterday we thought we had found the answer with: ŒŒ¹Father, they¹ve made
me go out begging.  It won¹t be long now till I come and die with you ­
you¹re lonely there on your own, and I¹m lonely too.¹²  But rereading this
today, in the context of the whole scene, it seemed too wordy.  The fewer
words Sasha uses, the more shocking they become.  So, at least for now,
we¹ve settled on:

His father lay patiently and nearby, not complaining how grim and terrible
it was for him to be left alone all winter.  What was there down there?  It
was bad there, it was quiet and cramped there, and it was impossible from
down there to see the boy with the stick and the beggar¹s bag.

ŒFather, they¹ve driven me out to go begging.  Soon I¹ll come and die with
you ­ you¹re lonely there on your own, and I¹m lonely too.¹

May I take the opportunity to mention one other thing?  I¹ve several times
heard complaints about our Platonov translations being out of print.  My
contact at Harvill assures me that all 4 volumes are now in print again and
can be ordered from the distributors ŒTrafalgar Square¹:

Trafalgar Square
PO Box 257
Howe Hill Road
No. Pomfret, Vermont 05053