Special Request

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Nov 24 04:26:43 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues and Students,

Below is a message from a journalist, which the Canadian Association
for Ukrainian Studies obtained
thanks to the diligent attention of its President, Mr. Roman Senkus (U
of Toronto).  The message was sent
by Bob Schaffer from Kyiv, who reports that  Russian special forces
were flown into Kyiv this
morning.

I humbly request that those among you who have colleagues and  friends
in Russia please invite
  them to campaign among their own government officials, so that such
forces are taken back to Russia.
Also, kindly ask Russian students to lend their support to Ukrainian
students. Many universities in Ukraine
have gone on strike.  Students have erected a tent city in Kyiv's
Independence Square.  They need the moral
support of their peers.

Many thanks,
Natalia Pylypiuk

> To:     Roman Senkus <r.senkus at utoronto.ca>
> From:   Jurij R Klufas <jurij at kontakt.ca>
> Subject: Fwd: Protest
> Date:   Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:32:58 -0500
> Subject: Re: Protest

> Here's the latest: Russian special forces dressed in Ukrainian Special
> forces uniforms are in Kyiv.  Ukrainian militia have been instructed
> by the mayor to protect the people from the Russian troops.  Ukrainian
> militia have established a hotline for Ukrainians to report any
> incidents with the Russians and pledged to protect Ukrainians. These
> Russians flew into Ukraine this morning.  They're now surrounding the
> administration buildings they say "to protect Kuchma (the outgoing
> president and his PM Yanukovich).  Following is a chain of email
> messages I've been sending by blackberry.  Please pass along to
> others.  Bob Schaffer
[...]
>  just want to alert you to what's going on here.  Bob

[...]
> PLEASE SEE UPDATES BELOW.  GETTING QUITE SERIOUS NOW.  OUR EMBASSY'S
> PHONES ARE DOWN AND WE'RE NOT SURE THEY'RE AWARE OF THE NEWS OF
> RUSSIANS
> (SEE BELOW).  YES, PLEASE SEND INFO TO ANYONE YOU CAN, ESPECIALLY
> PRESS.
> BOB

*Ukrajins'ka Pravda* confirms the presence of such special forces:
http://www2.pravda.com.ua/
and photo reportage:
http://www2.pravda.com.ua/archive/2004/november/24/fotoadmin.shtml
http://www2.pravda.com.ua/archive/2004/november/23/news/51.shtml