Nachalo Tapes

Jeff Holdeman jeffhold at INDIANA.EDU
Sat Oct 2 14:59:30 UTC 2004

Dear George,

As for digitized Nachalo materials, you can save yourself some time and
trouble: contact your McGraw-Hill sales representative

http://catalogs.mhhe.com/mhhe/findRep.do

and ask for desk copies of the materials.  The tapes have been digitized (on
CD).  (I have submitted the file names to the CDDB, so you can download the
track names in iTunes, for instance.)  With a simple form, McGraw-Hill will
also allow you to put the digitized files on a  university server so that
students can access they via the Web, which is what we have done at Indiana
University.

After several years of dealing with Kendall-Hunt (publishers of Stage One
and Two) and their unresponsiveness, lack of stock, teacher-unfriendly
formats (like the audio tapes finally being digitized but then not separated
into tracks!), retail problems (like refusing to sell the workbook
separately so that the textbook has virtually no resale or reuse value),
and out-dated materials, we switched to Nachalo (McGraw-Hill) this summer
and I have been extremely impressed with the materials and service provided
by McGraw-Hill.  Desk copies come within a few days.  New materials are sent
as the are completed.

I recommend that anyone who uses Nachalo check with McGraw-Hill to make sure
that they have all of the materials now available: newest edition of the
textbook, newest edition of the instructor's edition of the textbook,
textbook CDs, workbook CDs, video guide, video, student manual, instructor's
manual (which contains the script for the video, test banks [with two
versions of each test] workbook keys, and transparency masters), the
multi-media CD-ROM, and probably some things that I am forgetting.  The
sales rep can also give you (the instructor) a password to the Nachalo
instructor's site.

I admit that the Nachalo commercial page is a little difficult to navigate
and be sure that you have found out about everything (i.e., all of the items
I just enumerated), which is why I recommend contacting the sales rep.

Since I am getting to teach Czech this year, I have also adopted Susan
Kresin's Czech for Fun (also published through McGraw-Hill) and I have
received the same outstanding support from the company for that textbook as
well.

Sorry for the long message, but I just wanted to make sure you knew about
everything that is now available.

Jeff

Dr. Jeffrey D. Holdeman
Slavic Language Coordinator