older Russ. films subtitled in Engl.

Steven Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Sat Oct 9 04:51:17 UTC 2004

Dear colleagues,

Friday's queries from Papazian and Chernishenko reminded me of my own
not-yet-succesfful search to re-find a Russian video company formerly
located in New Jersey (1980s, early 1990s), which offered for sale (VHS)
several very good Russian films COMPLETE WITH English subtitles.

I believe their name (NJ, 1980s) was "Russian-American Broadcasting
Company."  Whether they were affiliated with a more recent Russian TV
station in Brooklyn -- I do not know.  Nor do I know what happened to them,
whether they are still in business -- or a successor is in business & took
over their complete inventory, etc., etc.

That "Russ-Am Broad Co" was precisely the type of company from which
one might have high hopes of finding older subtitled films like "Devchata"
('61) and  "Shinel'" ('59) -- as well as "26 dnei iz zhizni Dostoevskogo" ('81)
-- about which I myself had inquired a month ago...

Sincerely,
Steven P Hill (Univ.  of Illinois, USA).