subtitle resources

Christian Hilchey hilchey at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Oct 9 22:59:31 UTC 2004

For all people who have been recently asking about subtitles for films, the
following sites provide subtitles:

http://extratitles.to/
http://www.divxsubtitles.net/
http://divxstation.com/subtitles.asp

The subtitles are often provided by a community effort of individual subtitlers,
so translations can range from very good to somewhat iffy.  I know that
occassionally some of the translations into Czech have not been totally on the
mark.
Tools for editing, changing the format of these subtitles are located on:

http://dvd.box.sk/index.php?pid=soft&prj=list&tools=subtitle&pol=20

Of course these are all computer files which you would need to download, so to
display them simultaneously with some other projection, some method of
projecting the subtitles simultaneously might be advised.  I can offer some
advice/suggestions if needed.

Otherwise, a good thing to know when searching on those sites for subtitles is
that what language you enter the title in is important.  Try both its Original
title (transcribed into Latin letters, with and without diacritics) and the
English title.  To get the correct English translation of a movie's title, try
the International Movie Database (IMDB):

http://www.imdb.com/

All for now,

Christian