Automated glossing of BCS texts

joe phillips jozio at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 22 01:34:39 UTC 2004

It may of interest that something similar already
exists at http://www.conradish.ru.  This webpage
presents many literary works in Russian and one (Pan
Tadeusz) in Polish.  The entire text of each work is
linked to scroll-over lexical aids.

On a side note, I'm curious if this "BCS" is the new
convention among Slavicists or is it simply something
that some are using as a way of avoiding nationalistic
nuances?  I'm not currently working in constant
contact with Slavic language professionals, so I'm
feeling a little disconnected.  Personally, I find all
of the current and recent variants laborious.  Does
anyone know if there is historical precedent for
dealing with this sort of issue?

Having studied "BCS" and had ample exposure to
Bosnians, Croatians, and Serbs, I find the claims of
some that the languages are separate and distinct
tenuous.  Using the manner of arguments I've read, one
could just as easily make a case for American, New
Zealander, British, and Australian English being
separate and distinct languages.  ANBA?

Is there/has there been any discussion regarding the
name of this language(s), or are we doomed to struggle
with these mouthfuls as long as we live?  I dream of
one-word variants such as "Dinarian"...