IREX Question

Tony Anemone aaanem at WM.EDU
Sun Oct 24 19:09:04 UTC 2004

Presumably like many of you, I have just received the announcement of
Grant Opportunities from IREX for 2005-06.  In the descriptions of the
three fellowship programs which have funded my past research in Russian
literature and culture, I noticed the following language:  "grants. . .
  for research with a policy relevant focus in Europe and Eurasia."

My questions are:  is this a shift in research priorities for IREX? is
pure research in Russian literature, language and culture considered to
be  "policy relevant?"   Are grad students and scholars in language,
lit and culture having to argue the relevance of  their research for
specific policy questions like, for example, the growth of civil
society, the role of national and religious minorities  in post-soviet
Russia?

Looking forward to the discussion,

Tony

Tony Anemone, Chair MLL
Associate Professor of Russian
P.O. Box 8795
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
College of William and Mary
phone:          757-221-3636
fax:            757-221-3637