IREX Question

Catharine Nepomnyashchy cn29 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Oct 25 10:27:43 UTC 2004

Dear Tony,

This shift, as I understand it, is being dictated by Congress, which funds
IREX.  It has been in force for a number of years, and it is making it
harder for funding organizations that receive money from the government
to justify giving money to projects in the humanities.  The only option
appears to be to find creative ways of explaining how policy relevant our
work is.  Cathy

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Tony Anemone wrote:

> Presumably like many of you, I have just received the announcement of
> Grant Opportunities from IREX for 2005-06.  In the descriptions of the
> three fellowship programs which have funded my past research in Russian
> literature and culture, I noticed the following language:  "grants. . .
> for research with a policy relevant focus in Europe and Eurasia."
>
> My questions are:  is this a shift in research priorities for IREX? is
> pure research in Russian literature, language and culture considered to
> be  "policy relevant?"   Are grad students and scholars in language,
> lit and culture having to argue the relevance of  their research for
> specific policy questions like, for example, the growth of civil
> society, the role of national and religious minorities  in post-soviet
> Russia?
>
> Looking forward to the discussion,
>
> Tony
>

> Tony Anemone, Chair MLL
> Associate Professor of Russian
> P.O. Box 8795
> Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
> College of William and Mary
> phone:          757-221-3636
> fax:            757-221-3637

> options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>                   http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Catharine Nepomnyashchy
Director, Harriman Institute
Ann Whitney Olin Professor of Russian Literature and
Chair, Slavic Department, Barnard College
phone: (212) 854-6213