Follow up on IREX Question

Mirna Solic mirna.solic at UTORONTO.CA
Fri Oct 29 18:53:13 UTC 2004

Dear Tony,

I don't think that Slavic studies are the only field facing such fundamental
changes in financing research and study abroad. I think that the overall
situation with the humanities in the North America is alarming - Middle
Eastern Studies Association (MESA) for example had problems in organization of
the annual conference in San Francisco, because many colleagues were black-
listed as the result of change of the US official policy and response to
September 11th, and many of international members had huge problems in
obtaining US visa to come for the meeting.

So what is to be done?

Quoting Tony Anemone <aaanem at WM.EDU>:

> Thanks to the three people who responded (two on-line, one off-line)
> to my original question about the shift  in IREX guidelines to fund
> only projects "with a policy relevant focus in Europe and Eurasia."
>
> Am I the only person surprised that a list which a couple of years ago
> generated literally hundreds of postings about the correct usage of
> prepositions "na vs. v Ukraine" (and the corresponding issue of
> definite/indefinite articles in English) hasn't reacted to such a
> fundamental change, one that affects all of us who teach and do
> research in the humanities?  Is this not an issue for our professional
> associations to take up with the IREX Board and representative of
> Congress?
>
> Tony

iskoni bje slovo.

mirna.solic at utoronto.ca