Idut barany, byut barabany !

Edward Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Sat Oct 30 05:12:52 UTC 2004

I can answer some of the questions.
The translation of the song was done by Arkadij Akimovich Shtejnberg
(1907-1984). Maybe, there are also translations by others (including Bitov) but
I am not familiar with them. The song became popular among the educated public
of Russia after it was performed by Vladimir Vysotsky in the Taganka theater in
Moscow. Also, it was recorded by Galina Pashkova on a record issued by
"Melodija" where her recital was accompanied by the music of the Shostakovich's
Symphony No. 7 rather than by the original music written by Hanns Eisler in
1943.
The original German name of this march is Kälbermarsch (march of calves). It was
written by Brecht not for "Dobry chelovek from Sezuan" ( "Der gute Mensch von
Sezuan") but for "Schweyk in the Second World War" („Schweyk im Zweiten
Weltkrieg“) written in 1941-1944.
Sorry but I could not find the German text on the Internet: the search on
"Kälbermarsch" ( ''Kaelbermarsch'') gives too many hits.

The Russian translation can be found, for example, at
http://www.1917.com/index.html

Some information in German can be found at
http://www.nmz.de/nmz/nmz1998/nmz11/rumpf/paedagogik.shtml

Translation into English and Polish with commentaries in French is at
http://comenius02.gfs.diepholz.de/kaelbermarsch.html

Sincerely,