advice on translation

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Mon Sep 6 14:37:21 UTC 2004

Thanks for the comment.  I take your point about the two different
spellings, though I am not sure that Russian usage is as helpfully
consistent.  It occurs to me that in this instance the different
spellings are due less to variation in the treatment of foreign
double letters than to the different routes via which the two words
entered Russian: i.e. trafik (= 'trafficking') is not borrowed
directly from English.

John Dunn.

>  >
>>  Incidentally, when I transcribed that passage (for a student
>>  exercise), I left the word 'traffic' in the Latin alphabet.  A quick
>>  search on Google.ru suggests that in Russian spellings with either
>>  one or two f's occur, but that the former is more common.
>
>John,
>
>I would agree with all you've written, while giving preference to the single
>"f" spelling. This use of "trafik" (= trafficking) should be kept distinct
>from the Internet sense of "trafik" (= traffic), i.e., the flow of
>information.

John Dunn
School of Modern Languages and Cultures (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow
Hetherington Building
Bute Gardens
Glasgow