Needed: a Russian blessing or prayer for the people ofBeslan

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Tue Sep 7 21:58:28 UTC 2004

Dear Ruth,

Although you have been sent a link to the Russian/Slavonic memorial service
(panikhida) (which, by the way is highly appreciated!), in case you want a
shorter part of it, here is something appropriate in this particular case, in
Slavonic, transliterated, with translation following, courtesy of Olga
Meerson:

For the departed:

Vo blazhennom uspenii vechnyj pokoj, podazhd', Gospodi, rabom tvoim vsem nyne

ubiennym i sotvori im vechnuiu pamiat'.
(In blessed dormition, O Lord, give eternal peace to all Thy servants that
have now been slain and make their memory eternal.)
Response (if there is choir, otherwise, by the community): Vechnaia pamiat'
--
3 times. + Dushi ikh vo blagikh vodvoriatsia i pamiat' ikh v rod i rod.
(Meaning: memory eternal: their souls shall dwell among the blessed, and

For their relatives and mourning survivers:

Ukrepi i istseli Gospodi vsekh rabov sikh, nyne liute strazhdushchikh,
plachushchikh i boleznuiushchikh, podobno Rakhili, o detiakh i srodnikakh
svoikh, i podazhd' im uteshenie velie, veru, nadezhdu, liubov' i upovanie na
Tia.
(Strengthen and heal, o Lord, all these Thy  servants who are now terribly
suffering, crying and lamenting, like Rachel,  their children and kin and
give them great comfort, faith, hope, love and trust in Thee).

Ruth Kreuzer wrote:

> Dear Seelangers!
> We are planning a "Service of Remembrance" at our university chapel this
> Saturday for the people who have been victims of terrorist attacks.  Do
> any of you know an appropriate Russian blessing or special prayer that
> we could use for this service?
>    RUTH KREUZER

Svetlana Slavskaya Grenier
Associate Professor, Slavic Languages