Post-Sov cultural studies reading

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Sat Sep 11 00:17:49 UTC 2004

       An interesting footnote to Ms. Tigountsova's helpful note.  I
discovered that Amazon sells pdf copies of individual author articles from
at least some volumes of Gale's excellent Dictionary of Literary Biography,
$4 each.  At amazon.com, search

       "Dictionary of Literary Biography" Pelevin  (include the quotes, gets
you the Pelevin article)

       OR

       "Dictionary of Literary Biography" Russian  (gets you 257 different
Russian author articles!)

       An interesting book-trade innovation!

       Cheers,
       dp

       -----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Inna Tigountsova
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 3:28 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Post-Sov cultural studies reading

       Dear Nick,

       "Dictionary of Literary Biography", Vol. 285: Russian Writers since
1980,
       Marina Balina and Mark Lipovetsky, eds., Detroit/NY: Gale, 2003, has
an
       article on Pelevin by Gerald McCausland, pp. 208-219. It includes a
       bibliography (most of it - in English). This dictionary can also be
       helpful, if you decide to include other contemporary writers in your
       course. An Oxford U Press book - "Voices of Russian Literature:
Interviews
       with Ten Contemporary Writers", Sally Laird, ed. - has an interview
with
       Pelevin(pp. 178-192).

       On visual arts, you could try websites of National Centers for
       Contemporary Art (there are quite a few in different Russian cities).
       Hope this helps.

       Yours,

       Inna Tigountsova

       PhD candidate
       Dept. of Slavic Languages and
       Literatures
       University of Toronto

       On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Nick Baron wrote:

       > Dear List
       >
       > I wonder if any of you can help me with this query. I'm teaching a
course
       > this year on Russian 20th century cultural history. Being an
historian, I'm
       > not very familiar with the more contemporary materials. I'd like to
ask
       > students to read some of Pelevin's short stories (I had in mind 'A
werewolf
       > problem in central Russia', 'Vera Pavlovna's Ninth Dream', 'Tai
Shou Chuan