A surprising anti-racist development

Sat Dec 3 05:35:15 UTC 2005

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere wrote:

> Just a few moments ago I watched newscaster Vladimir Kara-Murza
> broadcast a puzzling new legal development in Russia (on the RTVi
> network).  He reports that today (Friday) a Moscow court had handed down
> a ruling which forbids the party "Rodina" from participating in the
> upcoming elections for Mosgorduma.  As you may be aware, right-wing
> "Rodina" recently ran a TV ad in Moscow advocating that the "garbage"
> ("musor") be cleaned from the streets.  The ad shows a very pale, blonde
> woman pushing her baby carriage past a group of "litsa kavkazskoi
> natsional'nosti."  The darkish-skined men are throwing watermelon rinds
> on the sidewalk, there is a close-up of the baby carriage passing over
> one watermelon rind.  The "garbage" in question is clearly people from
> the Caucasus, metonymically represented by the watermelon rind.  It is
> these people who, in the opinion of "Rodina," need to be cleansed from
> the streets of Moscow.
>
> Back to the TV broadcast.  The court held that the ad was unacceptable,
> and that "Rodina" (a sizeable political group) would therefore not be
> allowed to participate in the election.  The judge, clearly
> uncomfortable, was shown reading his ruling.  He referred to the
> offensive ad (speaking of "litsa chernykh volos").  Everyone in the
> courtroom seemed taken aback.
>
> I refer to this odd event in view of recent postings about racism in
> Russia.  The ruling clearly recognizes that there IS a problem.  Would
> anyone out there know how it came to be dealt with in this particular
> instance?  I am astonished and puzzled.
>
> Regards to the list,
>
> Daniel Rancour-Laferriere

Do I understand correctly from "clearly uncomfortable..." that the judge
disagreed and was ruling thus on orders from higher-ups? (it wouldn't be
the first time the Putin government has found an excuse to disqualify
competing parties and candidates)

Or do you mean to say he was feeling revulsion toward the ad?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com