Racism In Voronezh

sjd19 sjd19 at yandex.ru
Sat Dec 3 19:04:38 UTC 2005

I spent six months in Voronezh back in 2000.  At that time, the only evidence of racism I saw was an anti-Semitic sticker.  When meeting people outside of the institute, I found it safer to say that I was Hungarian.  If I told a stranger that I was American, I would sometimes be asked questions like "Is it true you live better over there?" in a very contemptuous manner.  At any rate, you sensed that they saw you as rich and priviledged.

One of the earlier postings mentioned Voronezh's poor economy and how international students (or visitors) are viewed by the locals.  I agree that these attacks were probably less about race than money and jealousy.  Race may have only served to single these students out as foreigners.  I predict that once Voronezh is foreigner-free, the next target will be those Voronezhers with money.

Sam DeFreese

--
Сегодня удачный день, чтобы завести почту на Яндексе http://mail.yandex.ru