Rodina's removal

Dmitri Glinski dg2158 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Dec 4 05:49:11 UTC 2005

One explanation that seems likely to me is as follows: Rodina leader
Rogozin is a longstanding enemy of Yury Luzhkov - he aggressively
participated in the nationalistic PR campaign that brought the
Luzhkov-Primakov bloc down in 1999 and paved the way to Putin's
presidency. It seems that a relatively high share of seats for
Rodina has been lobbied for by the Kremlin 'siloviki', and that
Luzhkov (who is generally on his way out) made a firm stand,
letting it be known that he won't depart peacefully if that means
leaving Moscow to the extreme right. His formal position at the
head of the United Russia list gives him a bargaining leverage. And
the Moscow court system is still largely under his control, so he
pushed through this decision and somehow made the Kremlin to accept
it.

That's certainly a hypothesis that is as good as any other.

Dmitri Glinski

Quoting "CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK/CIS LISTSERV Server (14.4)"