Lokhotron = Scam?

Josh Wilson jwilson at sras.org
Fri Dec 9 07:27:52 UTC 2005

According to my Russian collegues, Lokhotron is the Russian name for "the
shell game."  A person places a small ball under a cup in a line of three
similar cups and quickly moves the cups around.  The watcher is supposed to
bet on where which cup the ball is under after the movement stops.  In
modern usuage, the word has come to mean any sort of scam where the buyer
thinks he/she is getting one thing and really purchasing another.  Car
salesmen are especially refered to as "Lokhi," which is doubly interesting
as in Nordic mythology the god Loki is a trickster god.

Cheers,

JW