Lokhotron = Scam?

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Fri Dec 9 09:46:39 UTC 2005

The word 'lokhotron' is included in Mokienko and Nikitina's Bol'shoi
slovar' russkogo zhargona, where it is defined as a sort of lottery
run by confidence tricksters.  I assume the word is a pun on
'lototron', the machine which disgorges the balls in a normal
lottery.  Following on from Josh Wilson's message, I thought the
'lokhi' were the victims, not the perpetrators.

John Dunn.

>Dear Seelangers,
>
>In working with some of the videos from the website Avtorskoe televidenie
>(http://www.atv.ru), I've come across the word "lokhotron" more than once.
>My sense is that it's the equivalent of the English "scam" (the hits on
>Yandex would seem to bear this out), but I wanted to turn to my fellow
>Seelangtsovy to see if I might be missing something here.
>
>BTW, the ATV site has a lot of very useful material--2-3 minute clips on a
>variety of topics.  Thanks to the list for pointing out this site!
>
>Thanks in advance.  Happy Holidays to all!
>
>Tony Vanchu
>
>Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu
>Director, JSC Language Education Center
>TechTrans International, Inc.
>NASA Johnson Space Center
>Houston, TX
>Phone:  (281) 483-0644
>Fax:  (281) 483-4050

John Dunn
School of Modern Languages and Cultures (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow
Hetherington Building
Bute Gardens
Glasgow