Centenary of Vasily Grossman's birth

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Mon Dec 12 14:30:49 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I feel ashamed that I have only just discovered that Grossman was born a
hundred years ago today.
I learned this in the course of trying to find out more about a conference
about him in Turin.  Does anyone know anything about this?  In January
2006??

I should also like to ask if anyone has any particular thoughts or
information about Grossman that they would like me to include in the preface
I am about to write for the coming NYRB reissue of my tr. of LIFE AND FATE.
I am interested in the immediate impressions of readers coming to him for
the first time.  I am still more interested in what stays in peopleĀ¹s minds
long after they have read the book.

Best Wishes,

Robert