Translating Latin/Greek into Slavic languages

Polly, Polly Metis, Metis polumet1s at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 10 00:59:27 UTC 2005

Dear SEELANGS members,

I actually study classics, not Slavic languages, but I
have a question you might be able to help me with.
Greek and Latin are inflected languages, and the word
order is relatively free.  In English, of course, word
order determines grammatical meaning, and so it is
impossible to translate works of Greek and Latin
literature into English and retain the original word
order.

As I understand it, the Slavic and Baltic languages
are inflected, and the word order is fairly free, so I
was wondering if, in those languages, it is possible
or desirable to translate Greek and Latin in a way
that preserves the original word order.

Thanks,
Christina Skelton