hanging out

Joseph Troncale MD JTroncale at CARONFOUNDATION.ORG
Thu Jan 13 19:44:20 UTC 2005

I always thought it was from "jalovatsia" which I know is "complain" and I can't put them together, but I sort of assumed a connection.

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of Janneke van de Stadt
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 11:07 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] hanging out

Dear colleagues,

Am I right in thinking that "okolachivat'sia" (to hang or lounge about) has
"kol" (stake, picket), as in "net ni kola ni dvora," (neither house nor
home) as its main root?  I've tried, unsuccessfully, to find the verb's
etymology in any of my dictionaries.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Many thanks!

Janneke