diacritics on mac

Tom Dolack tdolack at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Jan 20 22:34:25 UTC 2005

Vsem privet:
This may be old news for some of you, but given the periodic queries on
the subject I thought I'd send along my new discovery. Whereas PCs have
let you do this for a while, apparently the newest version of Text Edit
on Macs (alas, not Word) allows you to put diacritics over Cyrillic
characters. I'm on my PC at the moment, so I'm doing this by memory, but
here are rough directions:

In Text Edit, place your cursor after the letter you want the accent to
go over.

Go to the character palette (which you can display by going to
international settings and selecting "character palette" as you would
the Russian flag for switching to Russian).

Find "Unicode" and then "adding diacritics" (or something similar).

Select the accent you wish to add and then click "insert" at the bottom
of the window. That simple! You should also then be able to copy and
past them around the document so you need only do one accented 'ya' and
then paste it wherever you need in the document

Again, sorry for the shoddy directions, I don't have a mac to fine tune
them with, but I hope it's useful for someone. You can't save as html in
Text Edit, but theoretically you could cut and paste into another
program, but I haven't tried it - it can be done with a PC, however.

If those directions don't suffice I can write up more exact ones later
when I have the time to sit in the local computer lab.

Vsego dobrogo,
Tom Dolack
University of Oregon
Comp Lit/REESC