List of languages

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at WISC.EDU
Tue Jan 25 01:42:31 UTC 2005

Dear SEELANGers:

Here is a list of languages taught at just those institutions which have
responded to me in the past 12 or so hours:

[The list reflects the controversy surrounding the naming of South-Slavic
languages, e.g., BCS, Croatian, Serbian, Serbo-Croatian.  Yes, I understand
that these may be considered one language or separate languages.  Forgive me
for leaving that discussion to  politicians and other linguists.]

1. BCS (Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian)
2. Belarusan
3. Bulgarian
4. Croatian
5. Czech
6. Estonian
7. Hungarian
8. Latvian
9. Lithuanian
10. Macedonian
11. Old Church Slavonic
12. Polish
13. Romanian
14. Russian
15. Serbian
16. Serbo-Croatian
17. Slovak
18. Slovenian
19. Turkish
20. Ukrainian
21. Yiddish

I did not keep the data on Central Asian languages, such as Uzbek.

If your department or program teaches a Slavic or East European language
that does NOT appear on this list (anyone for Albanian, Roma or
Ruthenian/Rusyn, lower or upper Sorbian?), please do let me know what it is.
If your department or program teaches some combination of the 21 or so
languages listed above, your languages have been ³covered.²

I am very grateful to the many people who wrote me with information today:
it¹s a demonstration of the solidarity of our field.

Sincerely,

Ben Rifkin

*************
Benjamin Rifkin
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Professor and Chair, Slavic Dept.
1432 Van Hise, 1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI 53706 USA
(608) 262-1623; Fax (608) 265-2814
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic

Director, Title VI Center for Russia, E. Europe & Central Asia (CREECA)
210 Ingraham Hall, 1550 Observatory Dr.
Madison, WI 53706 USA
(608) 262-3379; Fax (608) 890-0267
http://www.wisc.edu/creeca