Translation help

Thu Jul 14 21:35:16 UTC 2005

Alexei A. Glushchenko wrote:

> "Shakedown/to shake down" may be a good equivalent for
> "smon/shmonat'".
>
> "Shakedown": search of one’s house or person, usually very thorough.
> Having one’s house shaken down (usually for drugs or weapons) makes a
> hell of a mess (guess who straightens it up) and can involve drug
> dogs and metal detectors. Having one’s person shaken down is usually
> no more than a thorough patting down (sort of like a massage) but can
> be taken to the level of cavity searches and X-ray."
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/kalaus/8835.html

The usual connotation of "shakedown" in my experience with the language
is that the officials hope to get something for their pains, often money
but equally possibly contraband that they can "confiscate." Imagine
turning someone upside down and shaking to release whatever is in his
pockets. If a defendant or victim accuses you of a shakedown, he's
accusing you of corruption.

Not entirely outside the realm of possibility in Russia, of course...

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com