FW: Russian Inquiry

Elizaveta Moussinova emoussin at INDIANA.EDU
Wed Jun 1 22:39:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

'Vypusk' - 1. a graduation ceremony; 2. a number or quality of graduates (Ex:
Vypusk bolshoy v etom godu. Koshmarniy vypusk v etom godu.)

'Vypusknoy vecher' is a graduation ceremony consisting of 2 parts: the official
part s 'vrucheniem diplomov/attestatov zrelosti' and then a party with
champagne, food and dancing.

'Vypusknoy bal' is usually a prom ball. It's a party with food, drinks,
dancing.. and kissing. At a prom ball, parents participate in the celebration,
but they're usually in a separate room. It varies from school to school.
One of the most important things for girls is a graduation dress both at high
school graduation and university graduation. In the US, graduating girls
sometimes look like brides. In Russia, it is a night goan, but it shouldn't
look like a wedding dress.

Also, in high school the end of studies is called "Posledniy zvonok".

"S prazdnikom vas, dorogie vypuskniki!" is a way to congratulate graduates.

Liz Moussinova
emoussin at indiana.edu