FW: Russian Inquiry

Christopher Lemelin lemelinc at DICKINSON.EDU
Wed Jun 1 21:37:14 UTC 2005

What about "okonchanie"?  ("okonchanie universiteta" "po okonchanii
universiteta")

For the ceremony, I think you have to say "ceremoniia" of something;
yandex.ru gives "vrucheniia diplomov" or "osvoeniia stepenei".

CWL

On 1 Jun 2005, at 17:24, Edythe Haber wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers,
>
> Could someone answer this query forwarded to me from an ex-student?
> For graduation I've come up with "vypusknye torzhestva."  The Oxford
> Dictionary gives "poluchenie diploma" or "poluchenie attestata."  From
> my time in Russia I don't recall any grand ceremonies attached to
> graduation from university.  Is this true?  Has it changed?  Thanks
> for any information.
>
> Edie Haber
>

> ----- Forwarded message from Emily McDermott <Emily.McDermott at umb.edu>
> -----
>     Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:24:21 -0400
>     From: Emily McDermott <Emily.McDermott at umb.edu>
>  Subject: Russian Inquiry
>       To: mmiller at brandeis.edu
>
> Dear Marlyn: I turn to you as a friendly Russian expert. Can you tell
> me how to say "graduation" in Russian (transliterated for an innocent)?
> (This is for my annual deanly talk at grad convocation -- I'm doing a
> multicultural bit about the implications of graduation, as viewed
> through
> the words for it.)
>

> Any info you have on actual expressions for graduation and/or the
> imagery
> and history behind the expressions, or comparisons/contrasts with
> American
> customs, would be very welcome. Thanks, Emily
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----

> --

Christopher W. Lemelin
Assistant Professor and Chair