FW: Russian Inquiry

Elizaveta Moussinova emoussin at INDIANA.EDU
Fri Jun 3 21:00:52 UTC 2005

Private universities have grand ceremonies for sure. In my alma mater
(International University of Moscow) the rector and professors wear gowns and
caps according to their academic/professorial status. The rector wears a chain
with the symbol of university (as I remember). In the beginning of the ceremony
the university choir sings the student hymn "Gaudeamus igitur" and the hymn of
International University. The rector personally gives diplomas. People getting
postgraduate degrees and Bachelors with 'red' diplomas go first. After the
ceremony we made a photo of the class. Then we had a reception with food and
champagne. And this is the end of the ceremony organized by the university. It
reminds a US graduation ceremony.

I was also at the graduation ceremony of the Department of Geography at MGU.
Professors didn't wear any gowns but it was also great, "torzhestvenno".

My parents said that they didn't have any graduation ceremony. They organized a
celebration for themselves.

Liz