FW: Russian Inquiry

Gerald Janecek gjanecek at UKY.EDU
Fri Jun 3 17:16:01 UTC 2005

Judging by the students this May parading around
Moscow with ribbons across their chests reading
"Vypusknik," I would gather that at least for
some schools there are definitely ceremonies
involved.--Jerry Janecek

>Dear SEELANGers,
>
>Could someone answer this query forwarded to me
>from an ex-student?  For graduation I've come up
>with "vypusknye torzhestva."  The Oxford
>Dictionary gives "poluchenie diploma" or
>"poluchenie attestata."  From my time in Russia
>I don't recall any grand ceremonies attached to
>graduation from university.  Is this true?  Has
>it changed?  Thanks for any information.
>
>Edie Haber
>

>----- Forwarded message from Emily McDermott <Emily.McDermott at umb.edu> -----
>     Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:24:21 -0400
>     From: Emily McDermott <Emily.McDermott at umb.edu>
>  Subject: Russian Inquiry
>       To: mmiller at brandeis.edu
>
>Dear Marlyn: I turn to you as a friendly Russian expert. Can you tell
>me how to say "graduation" in Russian (transliterated for an innocent)?
>(This is for my annual deanly talk at grad convocation -- I'm doing a
>multicultural bit about the implications of graduation, as viewed through
>the words for it.)
>

>Any info you have on actual expressions for graduation and/or the imagery
>and history behind the expressions, or comparisons/contrasts with American
>customs, would be very welcome. Thanks, Emily
>

>----- End forwarded message -----

Gerald J. Janecek, Professor		 Phone: 859-257-7025
Editor, Slavic & East European Journal     E-mail: gjanecek at uky.edu
Division of Russian & Eastern Studies
Dept. of Modern & Classical Languages,
Literatures and Cultures          	Fax: 859-257-3743
University of Kentucky                  	SEEJ phone: 859-257-9854
Lexington, KY 40506