Nochnoi dozor film release in U.S.

Chris Tessone tessone at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 9 16:37:03 UTC 2005

Just curious, for those who have seen the film--what did you think of
it?  I finally watched it a few weeks ago and wasn't too impressed.
The story is interesting enough, but it struck me as really derivative
stylistically--like a mix of the Matrix, Fight Club, and Gladiator.
I'm reading the novels now, but I wasn't too impressed with the movie
and wonder how it will go over with US audiences.

Chris

On 6/8/05, Jeanette Owen <Jeanette.Owen at asu.edu> wrote:
> The NY Times online has an ad the release of "Nochnoi dozor" in the U.S.
> The trailer is up on the web at the following address:
>
> http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/night_watch/
>
> The official website has a small set of photos, some bios of the
> director and actors, a forum, and so on.
>
> The site says the film will be showing in select cities in the U.S.
> starting July 29th, though it does not specify which cities.
>
> Just to complain a bit, can anyone tell me why the film studio would use
> a botched mix of Latin and Cyrillic characters to give the feel of an
> authentic Russian title instead of simply using the real title in
> Cyrillic? I can't see that what they have would make any more sense to
> someone who doesn't read Russian than the real Russian.
>

> Jeanette Owen
> Assistant Professor of Russian
> Department of Languages and Literatures
> Arizona State University