Nochnoi dozor film release in U.S.

David Borgmeyer dmborgmeyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 9 16:37:55 UTC 2005

I don’t think it is at all a “botched mix of Latin and Cyrillic characters.”
  It is simply a transliteration with the Latin Ns inverted to provide an
exotic, foreign feel – like inverting the letter R or the substitution of
“SH” for “W”, for example. I doubt the person who did it even knows Cyrillic
characters for what they are.  Of course, non-Russian readers don’t
understand it, either in Latin or Cyrillic characters, but don’t most
foreign films include the original title (transliterated, if necessary) in
promotional materials?

DB