Nochnoi dozor film release in U.S.

harlo@mindspring.com harlo at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Jun 10 01:14:39 UTC 2005

I saw "Nochnoi dozor" at the Khudozhestvennyi theater in Moscow last summer
not long after its Russian release and found it imitative of Hollywood
action/thriller/sci fi models in the extreme. It also has virtually no
thematic or character development and the story makes very little sense.
What was stressed repeatedly in the Russian media was how it was the first
Russian feature to return a big profit (with a TV tie-in), little was said
about the actual quality of the product.  So Russians can have bad taste
too, and be manipulated by relentless and heavily funded PR advertising
campaigns.  Join the klub.  I think American audiences will find it rather
passe.  Tarkovsky it's not.

Harlow Robinson
Northeastern University