More RAILS Lessons Available

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at WISC.EDU
Mon Jun 13 00:50:27 UTC 2005

Dear SEELANGers:

As principal investigator for the RAILS Project (Russian Advanced
Interactive Listening Series) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, I am
pleased to announce the availability of 9 new lessons based on two films by
Russian filmmaker Marina Goldovskaia:  Vlast¹ solovetskaia and Deti Ivana
Kuz¹micha.

For an online demo of the RAILS lessons based on screen shots  from these
new lessons, go to: http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/rails and click on the button
View Lesson Demo.

Directly below the view Lesson Demo button is a link to download a brochure
(pdf) describing the content of the 9 lessons.

These lessons are available ONLY to institutions in North America.  Due to
restrictions imposed by the copyright holder of the films, we are able to
provide licenses neither to institutions outside North America, nor to
individuals (regardless of their location).  We apologize for this
inconvenience.  (The next 9 lessons in the RAILS project will have no such
barriers to adoption.)

In order for an institution to adopt any of these lessons, the institution
must acquire or already have acquired an institutional copy of the film on
which it is based: either Vlast¹ solovetskaia or Deti Ivana Kuz¹micha or
both.

There is NO cost for an institutional license for any of the RAILS lessons,
including these 9 lessons. However, the films on which these lessons are
based must be purchased prior to the granting of an institutional license.

The films may be acquired from Goldfilms only by telephone or fax as
follows:

Telephone 310-467-0167
Fax 310-476-0267

(Please note that Goldfilms will be closed for much of the month of August:
if you wish to use the lessons in classes in the fall, I encourage you to
order the films now.)

Contact RAILS project manager Dianna Murphy at diannamurphy at wisc.edu with
any questions.

I congratulate  Shannon Spasova and Viktoria Thorstensson, both of the
University of Wisconsin-Madison, for their outstanding work on these
lessons.

Sincerely,

Ben Rifkin

Benjamin Rifkin