khmyr'

Steven Young young at UMBC.EDU
Thu Jun 16 13:55:56 UTC 2005

Paul Gallagher wrote:
> So perhaps I've answered my own question -- are you positing an *ow/u:
alternation?

Yes, although the ablaut set is apparently incomplete (though there is a
Russian dialectal xmora, xmor’ [cited in ESSJa under xmara], which like
the above roots has a core semantics of rain cloud/gloomy weather, and
which conceivably could contain the jer, with vocalization generalized in
the stem, like doska, though I don't really believe this).  The *ow/u:
alternation is referred to by Trubachëv, Etimologicheskii slovar’
slavianskikh iazykov, vol. 8, p. 45 (under *chmyra): “Sviazano
cheredovaniem soglasnykh ou/u: s *xmura.  Ekspressivnoe obraznovanie?”
Perhaps the whole messy set of xmyr-, xmur-, xmor- (and even xmar-) is
indeed ripe for a review.  (There doesn't seem to be a reflex of PIE *ew >
CS *yu[:]).

Steve Young.

--
Steven Young
Associate Professor of Russian & Linguistics