translating colloquial word

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu Jun 16 21:24:50 UTC 2005

Maybe it's a register difference and/or a regional one, but I'm thinking of
eighteen-year-olds around me, who would only use these for comic effect
(imitating older folks like me).

At 04:13 PM 6/16/2005, you wrote:
>"Sad Sack"  Or "Poor Sap"
>  _Dated?_
>  Really!
>
>Genevra Gerhart
>
>ggerhart at comcast.net
>
>www.genevragerhart.com
>www.russiancommonknowledge.com

Russell Valentino
Associate Professor
Program in Russian
Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature
University of Iowa
Tel. (319) 353-2193
Fax (319) 353-2524