UCLA Slavic Department

Julia Verkholantsev juliaver at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Tue May 3 17:30:42 UTC 2005

Dear members of the list,

We, the undersigned, are writing in response to recent postings concerning the
UCLA Slavic Department. As former and/or current graduate students of the UCLA
Slavic Department who were present during the period treated by the 1999-2000
eight-year review, participated in the review process, and/or witnessed the
subsequent reforms undertaken by the department, we wish to express our strong
support of the Department, its former and current chairs Michael Heim and
Ronald Vroon, and its graduate program, which has trained us well for
achievements in the field.

Sincerely,

Susan Bauckus (PhD Candidate)
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures,
Language Resource Center, UCLA

Joan Chevalier (PhD, 2001)
Lecturer in Russian, Russian and East European Studies, Brandeis University

Yelena Furman (PhD, 2004)
Lecturer, Department of Literature, UC, San Diego

Holly Raynard (PhD Candidate)
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures, UCLA

Robert Romanchuk (PhD, 1999)
Assistant Professor, Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics, Florida
State University

Julia Verkholantsev (PhD, 2004)
Lecturer, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of
Pennsylvania

Lisa Wakamiya (PhD, 2000)