Translations of Pushkin, Tolstoy?

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Sat May 7 05:52:51 UTC 2005

Well, I did say it reminded me of it, David, not that it was it. Of course I
saw you weren't criticizing the whole thing, which is why I prefaced by saying
I liked your very concrete solution. I think you're absolutely right that
spleen is still the best choice (despite all the other solutions suggested so
far). And I agree with you that appealing to the difficulty of translating into
Onegin stanzas isn't satisfying at all. Falen's translation is successful
partly because he makes it seem easy a la Pushkin.

But I can't agree with your characterization of soul as a translation error:
the term is too amorphous, too much of a catch all for that. It may emphasize
things in English that have come to signify differently from what P.'s text
meant for contemporaries or what P. intended at the moment of inspiration. But
by the way I've just expressed this, isn't it clear that it is a complex issue,
filled with literary historical nuance and dependent on linguistic-cultural
change in two languages and literary poetic traditions? (Spleen is still the
best choice.) I suspect we could find other key words of a similar sort in
Falen's text that would make us pause and think more carefully about
the "original." This is one of the major benefits of comparative translation,
it seems to me.

A side note: the fact that Nabokov's text is not helpful in this regard is not
surprising at all. Though he does not present it in such terms, his "pony" is
actually a modernist exercise in ostranenie, a filter of sorts that readers are
supposed to try and read "through" with effort and attention. It does violence
to the original (in English) with the aim of getting readers to see Pushkin's
work with new eyes.

IMO.

Russell