Translations of Pushkin, Tolstoy?

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri May 6 21:17:42 UTC 2005

Russell's anecdote is amusing, but Weinberger's pitiless critic is beside
the point in this discussion.  No one has disparaged Falen's translation as
whole.  On the contrary, it has been commended in this thread, except for
this one unfortunate moment.  In her original post, Laura simply said that
she would warn her students in advance of this error, since can easily lead
to mistaken inferences and, in her experience, already had.  I took her to
mean that it gives students the utterly mistaken idea that Evgeny's
condition was somehow emblematic of the "Russian soul," a term with an
entire history of its own.  (Did I understand you correctly, Laura?)
Translators have enough natural predators without fabricating strawmen.

Cheers,
David
(Powelstock)

html. Or go to 91st Meridian (http://www.uiowa.edu/~iwp/91st/) > and click