Translations of Pushkin, Tolstoy?

Laura Goering lgoering at CARLETON.EDU
Thu May 5 21:46:42 UTC 2005

I just used Falen for the first time in a survey course and found that
it was surprisingly accurate, given how well it conveys the tone of the
original to non-Russian speakers.  One word of warning: 1:38 contains
the unfortunate translation choice of rendering "koroche: russkaia
khandra" as "We call it simply /Russian soul/."  Students read all kinds
of deep meanings into this, something which I plan to forestall with
advance warning next time around.

Laura Goering
Carleton College

pjs wrote:

>Anyone have any strong feelings about the Johnston vs. the Falen
>translation of E.O. for a survey course in 19th-century Russian
>literature?  My sense (after a cursory inspection) is that the Johnston
>hews more closely to the original while the Falen "reads better."  Other
>suggestions?
>
>How about _Death of Ivan Illich_?  Any suggestions there? Anyone seen the
>Pasternak-Slater translation?
>
>Peter Scotto
>Mount Holyoke College

**************************