Translations of Pushkin, Tolstoy?

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri May 6 05:28:32 UTC 2005

Dear Laura,

I agree entirely with your general praise of Falen.  I just want to add that
the line you quote is not an 'unfortunate translation choice' in the least.
It conveys Pushkin's meaning and tone very well.  I appreciate that a
language teacher may find it irritating if students end up thinking that
'khandra' = 'soul' - but translators are NOT language teachers!

Best Wishes,

Robert Chandler