Translations of Pushkin, Tolstoy?

Irina Zhulamanova zhulamanova at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Fri May 6 16:01:56 UTC 2005

Dear Laura and Robert,

actually, Pushkin himself gave an 19th century English equivalent for
'khandra',
'angliiskii spleen'. How would you translate this 'spleen' into contemporary
American English? The translation of 'khandra' as a 'soul' for me looks like
saying that 'courage' equals 'temper'. Khandra is one of the soul's emotional
conditions, features, etc, so soul is a generic word for khandra. We say, "Ne
khandri, ne nervnichai, ne dergaisia" in contemporary Russian, isn't it
possible to draw on this and find a more specific Enflish lexical item than
'soul'?

Irina