Translations of Pushkin, Tolstoy?

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Fri May 6 18:05:09 UTC 2005

David Powelstock's suggestion is constructive. I especially appreciate the
workable solution: spleen is clearly better. But this discussion has reminded
me of a comment by Eliot Weinberger. Forgive me for quoting a slightly large
snippet:

"And yet translations ... are often dismissed on the basis of a single word,
usually by members of foreign language departments, known in the trade as the
'translation police.' They are the ones who write- to take an actual example-
that a certain immensely prolific translator from the German 'simply does not
know German' because somewhere in the vastness of Buddenbrooks, he had
translated a 'chesterfield' as a 'greatcoat.' Such examples, as any translator
can tell you, are more the rule than the exception. One can only imagine if
writers were reviewed in the same way: 'the use of the word "incarnadine" on
page 349 proves the utter mediocrity of this book.'"

The whole (entertaining and informative) piece is here:
http://www.uiowa.edu/~iwp/91st/vol1_n1/vol1_n1AUTH_WEINBERGER.html. Or go to
91st Meridian (http://www.uiowa.edu/~iwp/91st/) and click on issue number one.

Russell

Quoting David Powelstock <pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU>:

> The problem with Falen's translation of "russkaia khandra" as "Russian soul"
> is that it suggests that Evgeny's particular spiritual condition is the
> equivalent of the Russian soul in general.[...] Do we really think that
Pushkin considered Evgeny the emblem of "russkaia dusha"?  That would be a hard
argument to make.  Thus, "Russian soul" is a bad translation error.  It
distorts Pushkin's attitude toward Evgeny and Russia, and it is semantically
and historically inaccurate. "Russian spleen" would work better, and it
wouldn't be difficult to rhyme.