Translations of Pushkin, Tolstoy?

Sara Stefani sara.stefani at YALE.EDU
Fri May 6 18:33:26 UTC 2005

These are all very interesting points and arguments. The problem with
the word "spleen" is that in contemporary usage, it means spite or ill-
will - more like zloba than khandra. So in a contemporary context, this
might be misleading. Interestingly enough with regard to Pushkin
providing his own 19th-century variant of 'angliiskii spleen':
according to Webster's, one archaic meaning of "spleen" is melancholy.
So you could use the word "melancholy" or even, which may have more
nuance, "ennui."

However, also interestingly enough, Webster's gives other obsolete
definitions of "spleen": one is "a sudden impulse or whim: caprice,"
another is "the seat of emotions or passions." Which could therefore
almost justify the use of the word "soul." Using Pushkin's own gloss
could be problematic without knowing what definition of the English
word might have been current at the time.

Just a little lexical word-play on a Friday afternoon.

Best,
Sara Stefani