"Angely s labarami"?

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Wed Oct 12 21:19:52 UTC 2005

>M. Vrubel' painted a painting called "Angely s
>labarami". What are labary? How is the word
>pronounced (lAbary, labAry, labarY)? What is its
>gender in the singular? Where does the word come
>from? It is missing in all the dictionaries I
>can find.
>Thank you all for your kind help,
>--

It's a Latin word, and this is the fastest dictionary entry I had access to:

lab·a·rum n
a military banner carried before Roman emperors,
especially one with Christian symbols that was
carried in front of Constantine the Great as a
sign of his conversion to Christianity

Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing
Plc.

That is indeed what the angel on either side of the painting is carrying.
BUT I have no idea how it's pronounced in Russian
nor what it's Russian nominative form might be.
-FR

--

Francoise Rosset
Russian and Russian Studies