"Angely s labarami"?

Wed Oct 12 21:27:19 UTC 2005

Alina Israeli wrote:

>> M. Vrubel' painted a painting called "Angely s labarami". What are
>> labary? How is the word pronounced (lAbary, labAry, labarY)? What is
>> its gender in the singular? Where does the word come from? It is
>> missing in all the dictionaries I can find.
>

> Here's the explanation from one site: Архангел держит в правой руке
> сферу, а в левой - знамя-лабар.
> http://www.icon-art.info/masterpiece.php?lng=ru&mst_id=979
>
> So it's a banner.

Yes, but the English word "banner" generally conjures up an image of a
much larger, more flexible sign, often carried by several people, and
usually much wider than it is high (compare the usage for "banner ads");
this looks like a stiff little handheld thing.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com