Discourses of Violence

Rimgaila Salys Salys at BUFFMAIL.COLORADO.EDU
Tue Oct 18 14:33:55 UTC 2005

It seems to me that Babel's depiction of the cossacks in Red Cavalry is perfectly consistent with Girardian theories of ritualized violence in society.  I've noticed that many people who have lived through/escaped Stalinism or even its gentler successors are very resistant to myth criticism as a way of approaching the Soviet era, and here one has to agree to disagree.