Teaching English in Eastern Europe

Josh Wilson jwilson at sras.org
Tue Oct 25 06:43:48 UTC 2005

David,

I've had a lot of experience with the ESL market in Russia (it was my first
job when I got here) - I don't know how well it translates to the rest of
Eastern Europe, but a few things I would advise your student of:

1) There are many, many organizations to steer clear of (in Moscow, this
list includes Harvard School of English, American Language School, New York
Language Center, and others which are known for swindling the teachers they
hire).

2)  To stay on the safe side, she should try to work for an international
school (such as English First) - the pay tends to be lower, but the teacher
is more likely to receive it.

3) The ESL market is exploding - many schools will say that the credentials
are needed, but this is only for advertising purposes, most will hire any
native speaker looking for a job.

4) Signing a contract that includes visa support, etc., might seem like a
more stable option, but (again, at least in Russia) coming on a business
visa or tourist visa and finding work after arrival will usually mean higher
pay.  Contracted work is usually very lowly paid.

5)  She can see an article on this issue here
http://www.sras.org/news2.phtml?m=283

6)  She is more than welcome to contact me for more info.

Hope this helps!

Josh

Josh Wilson
Vice Director of Programs