In Memoriam: Leon I. Twarog

Dean Worth dworth at UCLA.EDU
Tue Oct 25 18:07:25 UTC 2005

Dear Daniel,
     Thanks for sending the sad news of Leon's death. I've always had a warm
spot in my heart for him; he offered me a job back when I was finishing up at
Harvard and Leon was running the Slavic Department across the river at Boston
University. (I didn't accept the offer; Roman Jakobson got me a better offer
from UCLA.), I saw him again much later, in similar circumstances, at Ohio
State, when the Slavic Department there was interested in Emily and me, but
that too didn't work out (as I remember it, because the UCLA salaries
were well
above UCLA's, as indeed they had to be, given the cost of living out here).
     If Leon still had family members, please pass on to them both my
regrets at
his passing and the warmth with which I still think of him).
     With thanks and best wishes, Dean