In Memoriam: Leon I. Twarog

Daniel Collins collins.232 at OSU.EDU
Tue Oct 25 15:48:35 UTC 2005

It is with sorrow that we announce the death of Dr. Leon I. Twarog
(1919–2005) on Monday, October 24, of cancer.  Dr. Twarog was the
founder and longtime chair (1962–72, 1978–84) of the Department of
Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures at The Ohio State
University.  He was also the founder and first director (1965–87) of
the Center for Slavic and East European Studies.  He served as
Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences (1963–64), Associate
Dean of Faculties for International Programs (1966–70), Acting Dean of
the College of Humanities (1977–78).  Through his creative service,
administration, teaching, curriculum development, and scholarship, Dr.
Twarog has left an indelible mark on the Department, the University,
and the field of Slavic and East European Studies in the U.S.  He will
be greatly missed, and we send our sincere condolences to his family.

Daniel E. Collins, Chair
Department of Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures
The Ohio State University
400 Hagerty Hall
1775 College Road
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1340