Josef K, American style

Steven Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Thu Oct 27 05:01:39 UTC 2005

Dear colleagues and "list-owners":

I am still a-tryin' to block the "PS" or "trailing confirmation" which I receive every
confounded time I request the full text of the daily digest from SEELANGS.   The
latest example of that unwanted little confirmation follows:
__ __ __ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ _ __ __ __ _

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:06:54
From: "CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK/CIS LISTSERV Server (14.4)"
<LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
To: Steven Hill <S-HILL4 at UIUC.EDU>

Results have been mailed to you under separate cover.
__ __ __ _ __ __ __ __ __ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

End quote.  Thus  I continue to receive (and probably many of you other SEELANGS
subscribers do, too?) each day a useless notification telling me that I have just
received that which I have just received.  Brilliant.   Who says the "theater of the
absurd" or Franz Kafka were to be found mainly in the Czech Republic (or Poland)?

I 'll put much of the blame on myself.  I have failed twice in my unskilled little
efforts  to avoid receiving those useless, space- & time-consuming little "PS"
messages.  First (appx a month ago), I posted a "how-to" query on SEELANGS.  I
did receive one suggestion, but it wasn't specific enough to enable  me to kill the
daily "PS."  Later (maybe 2 - 3 weeks ago) I read up on how to send a "request"
direct to the "owners," and then I tried that sort of targeted (non-posted) message,
asking the "owners" how to kill the "PS."  No reply....

Is there any hope?

Gratefully,
Josef K. Hill
(formerly known as  Steven P. Hill),